12/365: Light Painting

I am in awe of people who can take ordinary objects and make them amazing. Unfortunately, I am not one of them. I'm sure the kids are going to feature prominently in this project so I'm trying to avoid using them unless I'm absolutely desperate. So, I've been reading about some projects I can line up, in case I run out of ideas. With the shorter days and the cold weather, I need to have something in my pocket to whip up when its 11pm and I STILL don't have a photograph. Who knew I'd have to use it this early? Tonight, I tried my hand at some light painting.

This experiment is based on this DPS article. They made waaaay better images than I did. I will probably experiment some more with this. But for tonight...

The Setup: A flashlight hanging by a string from the ceiling. Camera is pointing up towards the ceiling on a tripod low on the floor. I used a wide angle lens to get as much coverage as possible since my tripod doesn't go very low. 30 second shutter speed and the smallest aperture possible. Shoot while the flash light is swinging. The goal is to make nice elliptical patterns from the pendulum swings of the light.

Light Painting


See the whole set on my Flickr account.

What do you think?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog