43/365: Bayanihan

Today's photo of the day was a no-brainer. I arrived at the train station this morning to hear that my train is running approximately 15 minutes late due to a mechanical failure. So while waiting, I took a photo of all the people in the station, standing around doing whatever it is people do when they're waiting. When the train finally arrived, I got on my regular coach and noticed that the lights and the heat were off. When we got to the next station, it stopped - and then stalled. Meanwhile, the train voice over lady keeps on insisting that "The Mechanical failure has been fixed. We apologize for the delay". Outside, I was hearing a LOT of banging. So, after about 10 minutes of this, I got curious. The banging was really loud and sounded as if it's right outside my window. I was on the aisle, so I cannot really see from the window, so I stood up and peeked at the door and saw this...

Curiosity killed the cat


It turns out that the handicap lift was used at the Winfield station, and when the conductor was attempting to retract it, it won't budge. So, the conductor - with the help of a couple of passengers were banging on the lift to brute force it back to its slot! This took about 15 minutes and there was a big sigh of relief from everyone when the train started moving again. In the Philippines, this is called "Bayanihan". From Wikipedia, The whole term bayanihan refers to a spirit of communal unity or effort to achieve a particular objective. I tried to find what the corresponding English word is, and according to Google, "cooperativism" is the nearest word.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog